WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Help me reach 1M
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FuxieDK

WR Updates: 2,585,132
FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Help me reach 1M Reply with quote

Since v4.0.1 most likely will be released on wednesday and that means that CP will be broken (maybe forever), please help me reach the big 1M before that..

Which (EU) servers would be good to sweep through for some high numbers today and tomorrow?
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 23,534,469
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest concentrating on the realms that are currently at 0 or 1 entries on most wanted lists. Due to personal reasons I am going to concentrate on my regular list for today and possibly also on Tuesday.
FuxieDK

FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. All those servers seem to have low population..

I think I'll just take all the "Full" servers a few times each, today and tomorrow Wink
1974ER
Epic Censi

1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... you are now at 962 454 updates... which means you need... counts... 37 546 or more. Available time maximum about 33 hours 16 minutes. You are going have your hands full. To be honest, unless you can census literally round the clock, you are likely to fail. I am sorry to say that, but getting more than 25k updates in a day is hard.
FuxieDK

FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know...
Maybe if someone uploaded in my name.. Wink

Why did you think I asked for help Wink
FuxieDK

FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've censussed non stop from 16:30 to 21:30..

Interresting how many updates that have given me...
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,068,258
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Full or high pop realms without much censuses run already is your best bet (don't waste your time on Draenor Horde btw, that's my home server and I'm playing loads atm so you won't gain much that I've not already covered Wink) No chance I'll reach 7M by Wednesday so just going to hope Rollie reappears and fixes it fast... might send him another email Confused
1974ER
Epic Censi

1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are couple of things of note. First, the number of full/high population realms with very low census amounts is small. At a quick glanze none of them are at 0. Also, low population realms have one major advantage: They are quick to census. Even with alt creation/deletion time added, censusing 8 low realms with 400 characters each can be quicker than doing 1 full with 3000. Additionally, if you census on 0 censuses realm, almost every character you will see, will either be an update or a new one.

Third hint from me: Regadless whether you decide to pick fulls or lows: Avoid repetition. Census as many DIFFERENT factions as you possibly can.
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but one downside to low pop realms, being quicker to census, unless you have time to "babysit" it, you'll end up with more time being wasted between censuses - when I'm censusing I set it going then tab out, or go do the dishes or something, so I like the longer running servers better! Wink Good point if you're able to watch it constantly though.

As for repetition, kinda agree, but if you do one census on a server in the morning and another in the evening, there'll be very few duplicates, if any. So I tend to find it worth repeating the higher pop realms, at least.
1974ER
Epic Censi

1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but Fuxie is already fighting an uphill battle. He has to invest a lot of time and devotion to even have a chance of hitting 1M... especially, since in light of some data that appeared on the official forums while I was asleep, he possibly lost another 5 extra hours, because the servers might go down at midnight, not at 05:00 as they often do on regular maintenance days.

Also true... a long running census does give that advantage. I take advantage of it every day. Very Happy

Under normal circumstances, I would also agree with your last statement, but this little project of Fuxie's is VERY short term. That is why he also has to do his best to eliminate or reduce the effects of every single other EU census user to his results. Best way to do that, is to make sure to census as many factions as possible, so the amount of overlap with OTHER people goes down.

He can't know what I, you, or someone else does. If his timing went wrong and he used a low number of factions, some other(s) could negate his efforts, in worst case to almost 100% loss. Having a wide spread of factions guarantees that he will be first to spot many changes AND to submit them.
FuxieDK

FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even have time for any repetitions last night.. I only did high/full servers (and my own server).. I even ran census during dinner, which my GF didn't quite like. :-/

2 of 3 submissions have been processed: The numbers were disappointing, only 7500ish. Sad
Still waiting for the 3rd from last night and a very small census during breakfast.

Unless we see an act of god (unlikely, since I'm atheist Wink), I see my chance of reaching 1M in the range "slim to none". Sad
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, unlucky numbers there, hope you get better luck today! Btw I'm guessing you only have one account? If you had two I'd suggest running both at the same time, it's a good way to increase the amount since you can cover twice as much. Doesn't help if you don't have access to a 2nd account though Sad
1974ER
Epic Censi

1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuxie:

Oct 11, 10 12:00:22 435 2268 Y

If the data screen isn't lying, that entry was made 14 minutes 8 seconds after the one preceding it. If you have found a way to squeeze that much out of Censusplus in just 14 minutes, you'll get to your goal (with ease even). On my computer, I can't even see over 2703 characters in that short a time. Sad

Balgair:

You might not hit 7M updates today... but you are about to become an EPIC POSTER, because you already have 999 posts as I type this phrase. Congratulations! Very Happy
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha oh dear, didn't realise I'd posted so much, what a spammer Wink
1974ER
Epic Censi

1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balgair:

Spammer? You? Hehe, no way. Very Happy You have made a lot of very helpful posts. Very Happy

Fuxie:

I just noticed you and I have one point of overlap, so I am leaving Nera'thor Horde on you for today. It probably won't net you high numbers, as I tend to visit it daily, but please drop by at least once, ok? Smile

EDIT:

It just went official: Patching will begin at 00:00 Wednesday, server time. You now have pretty much exactly 12 hours left, Fuxie.
FuxieDK

FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual post Sad

Last edited by FuxieDK on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
FuxieDK

FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1974ER wrote:
Fuxie:

Oct 11, 10 12:00:22 435 2268 Y

If the data screen isn't lying, that entry was made 14 minutes 8 seconds after the one preceding it. If you have found a way to squeeze that much out of Censusplus in just 14 minutes, you'll get to your goal (with ease even). On my computer, I can't even see over 2703 characters in that short a time. Sad
Unfortunately not.. I used my stationary pc to census pre-dinner and forgot to upload..
During dinner, I census'ed on my laptop.
After dinner, I uploaded stationary pc data and began new census.. 14 min later (I waited 15 min, or so I thought) I uploaded laptop data..
Those 2 uploads total 7500ish.. The last census (on stationary pc) is still pending..

Alas, I only have 1 account, and to the best of my knowledge, Trial Accounts is still banned from using AddOns Sad
FuxieDK

FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do Nera'thor as the first server this afternoon. Wink
unfortunately, I only have ~4 hours to do census.. I get home around 16 from work, and raid start at 20.. Sad
1974ER
Epic Censi

1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid that won't cut it... you are still about 30k short - whatever that one unprocessed entry brings you.

On a semi-related note: The US patching will probably finish in about 6 hours. I don't think Rollie can fix the addon in that short a time even if he had time to work on the addon, so incoming: Massive drop in censusing has already started, in about 11 hours 15 minutes, everything will grind to a halt as I and the other "night owls" of EU get forced offline by the maintenance shutdown.
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we'll have some catching up to do when it does get fixed... also folk like me will probably be fixing our mains for a few days instesad of censusing anyway Wink But hey, it'll give you some time to try and get something to 80 maybe! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: