WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
How to Run a Successful Guild
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yenx

WR Updates: 0
Yenx WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: How to Run a Successful Guild Reply with quote

<p><i>By Themistoklis ?Yenx? Pantazakos</i></p>
<center><i>Table of Contents</i></center><br>
1 ? The Basics<br>2 ? Recruitment<br>3 ? Guild Drama<br>4 ? Punishment<br>5 ? Leading a Raid<br>6 ? Summing Up<br><h2>Introduction</h2><p>Guilds are unarguably the backbone of the World of Warcraft experience. They play a big role in all activities, both Player versus Environment (PvE) and Player versus Player (PvP) activities. But what makes some guilds more successful than others? What keeps some guilds together and going, while others disband prematurely? This article is going to try and answer these questions and give some useful tips about how to maintain a steady and healthy guild.</p><h2>Creating a Guild ? For beginners</h2><p>Before we can go into details about a guild, we need to create it first. What all is entailed in creating a guild? I would like to keep the very basics of guild creation to just one paragraph since information on creating a guild are beyond the scope of this article. Apart from a signed guild Guild Charter, you need a tabard. It is my belief that the following tools are also mandatory for a strong guild:<br><br>A Ventrilo/Teamspeak server.<br><a href="http://www.ventrilo.org/">http://www.ventrilo.org</a><br><a href="http://www.goteamspeak.com/">http://www.goteamspeak.com/</a><br><br>A website with a functional design:<br><a href="http://riseandshine.cjb.net/">http://riseandshine.cjb.net/</a><br><a href="http://insurgence-guild.com/">http://insurgence-guild.com</a><br><a href="http://www.veneratio-guild.com/">http://www.veneratio-guild.com</a><br><br>Most hardcore guilds? websites tend to have many pertinent data areas, including guild news/updates and so on as well as info about Raids and DKP.<br><br>Helpful sites:<br><a href="http://www.eqdkp.com/">http://www.eqdkp.com</a><br><a href="http://www.guildhosting.com/">http://www.guildhosting.com</a><br><a href="http://www.havenguilds.com/">http://www.havenguilds.com</a></p><p><b>Note:</b> Do NOT be put off by the hard work of creating a guild. One thing you should know that will most definitely occur is player attrition. Things such as players leaving for high-end raiding guilds or due to having little faith in new and small guilds so do not expect them to be devoted. Finally, many people just join small guilds ?just to have somebody to talk with? which is also a reason for early departures. DO NOT let those incidents bring you down! WoW history is full of examples of guilds that went through periods of immense difficulty and still made it to the top.</p><h2>Recruitment</h2><p>From my personal experience, there are two areas of recruitment that could be troublesome. Either you recruit with little or no criteria for joining, or on the flip side, standards are too high leading to low recruitment numbers and possibly leading to low guild morale or even disbandment. Apparently, the first one is much more common. It is important to maintain a standard of characteristics and qualities a player must posses in order to be able to join your guild?s ranks, but do not overdo it. Especially in the beginning pay more attention on the person?s attitude rather than on their items and equipment (i.e. you wouldn?t necessarily want somebody with a ?Friends come and go, epics are soulbound!? mentality in your guild just because they have good items). It goes without saying that as your guild expands and grows, expectations standards will rise. My recommendation for a good foundation is to start a heavy influx of low level players that are enthusiastic about the When players ?grow? with the guild, they will develop loyalty and good will the guild as a whole. It is this loyalty that you are looking for and will allow you to reach the major high-end instances as a guild.</p><p>That said, several psychological studies have indicated that if people have a hard time getting into one group (e.g. your guild) they are less likely to leave so keep that in mind.</p><p><b>Note (For established guilds, basically major ones with very high standards):</b>Bear in mind that with the emergence of Pay-to-Transfer option, guild recruitment will become a cross server endeavor. This means that high-end guilds will get many more applications and have an easier time maintaining their hardcore status. So, if you are in charge of such a guild, with sky-high standards, DO NOT accept people just because you find none fitting. The above mentioned option will come as an answer to your prayers sometime soon!</p><h2>Guild Drama</h2><p>Guild drama and conflicts within the guild are one of the basic reasons for the beginning of the end. People stop having a good time and the atmosphere is suddenly ?not what it used to be?. Arguments can take place that split the guild into two (or more) sub-groups. All arguing with the others and pushing their own agendas. It is very important to prevent this, and to address the problem as soon as any dissention begins to rise. Make sure that you investigate each ?conflict? case and haveyou?re your members talk with each other, DO NOT ignore these issues as it will just pile up for later. As a general rule keep everything in the guild at a high level of transparency in order to maintain a healthy status. If, after extensive dialogue, some people refuse to stop being a problem for the guild?s welfare, then you may have to follow up with punishment (we will look at that later). In any case, listen to what sides have to say, while refraining from taking an official position as the guild?s leadership. It is better if problems are solved between players with you just acting as a mediator.</p><p><b>Guild master and officers: </b>Make sure that the officers and the guild master always present themselves as if they have the same opinion as far as guild matters are concerned. Even if some disagree with something, everyone must present a unified front. This is VERY important as it gives the image of a mature, steady guild that won?t falter because of leadership problems. Make sure any differences of opinions are resolved in the officers? chat/forums.</p><h2>Punishment</h2><p>When should you punish a player, and what should be the punishment? The answer to the first question is really simple, very rarely. Try talking with problematic players and explain in logical terms why what they are doing is not acceptable. It is good practice to not come off as offensive of insulting. Always speak with the individuals one on one, in private. People tend to get defensive if you talk about something they have done in public and are generally less willing to admit faults or mistakes.</p><p>What happens if that doesn?t solve the problem? Try giving one two warnings, and as a last resort, you kick them. Give the troublesome player a day or two to address the issue. Give them some time to think the matter over and calm down, then talk with them. If they are still unwilling to address the situation or make reparations, then you may have to further escalate the situation.</p><p><b>Why should you kick a player?</b></p><p>1) As above mentioned, when you are beyond the point where you can settle things with talking. I don?t think that needs any further explanation.</p><p>2) Inactivity is another reason for removing members. If players disappear without giving any indication as to why, or when they will return, it is probably a good idea to remove them from the guild. Of course this does not include inactivity because of holidays/exams and so on. If it is known in advance and is for a valid reason, inactivity is bearable.</p><p>3) Various reasons (I.E.: Ninjalooting, going in rants at general channels and so on).</p><p>Generally speaking, refrain from kicking a player when possible. It is a destabilizing event that can lead to guild unrest and lowered guild morale.</p><h2>Leading a raid</h2><p>Leading a raid is an experience that will heavily draw upon and enrich your leadership skills. Leading raids can be very challenging, as well as fun and rewarding. However, it is amazingly hard, and requires a lot of skill, nerves and preparation. Here are some tips to help you:</p><p><b>Preparation</b></p><p>Come well prepared. If practical experience is not possible, at least theoretically prepare yourself by thoroughly studying instance guides. It is very important for the raid leader to be confident and knowledgeable.</p><p><b>Attitude</b></p><p>Do not get mad and swear in Ventrilo/Teamspeak. Organizing 39 others and trying to get them to correctly do something is hard, but you should remember that everyone is there voluntarily. Swearing like a madman will not help anything and neither will whining about things going unexpectedly. Once again I will mention TALKING as a first resort and swearing as a last. Talk with players, explain to them what they did was wrong and tell them how to do it right. Tell class leaders to keep an eye on their players and encourage everyone to pay attention in order to decrease the risk of failure.</p><p><b>Being serious</b></p><p>All WoW players have come across situations in Ventrilo/Teamspeak/Raid/guild chat where players are yelling or telling jokes or generally having fun in quite a ?ridiculous? (sic) way. Now, of course you can have fun, that?s why you are playing the game, but don?t overdo it. Do not spam caps and don?t swear too much. Keep things under control. As a guild leader, it is important to convey a sense of seriousness and ability to lead the guild in a steadfast fashion.</p><h2>Conclusion</h2><p>Summing up I would like to tell everyone that has read this guide that guilds (and leading them) are a wonderful thing. The experience can provide you with lots and lots fun. Nevertheless, 60-70 different personalities of non-professionals in the same group are an immense challenge in and of itself and thus you need to plan and make your moves with wisdom and intelligence, especially when in a leading position. Have fun and good luck!</p><p>Yours,</p><p><i>Themistoklis ?Yenx? Pantazakos for WarcraftRealms.com</i></p><p>And for their help and feedback:</p><p>Michael Nerusai (?)</p><p>Karl Bryn</p>

Last edited by Yenx on Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:35 am; edited 4 times in total
Skyfire
Trolling Enforcement

WR Updates: 44,279
Skyfire WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lern2format, Rollie.

Copy and paste that to Word or another program first, fix it up, then post.

>_<
Yenx

Yenx WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyfire you mean it has grammar issues?
WyriHaximus

WR Updates: 1,520,754
WyriHaximus WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he means the loads of white spaces Yenx Smile. Reads alot easyer at a high resolution Wink.

My World of Warcraft Screenshots / Map
Rollie
Site Admin

WR Updates: 480,131
Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is due to the way that phpbb formats the entered code. It is adding extra breaks that shouldn't be there.

I may need to rethink the way I go about this as going through phpbb might not work as well as I had hoped for this type of thing.

EDIT: There, better now, but I had to go through and remove any line feeds in the message to keep any extra breaks from being inserted.
Yenx

Yenx WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will anyone comment on the actual essence of the article please Razz?
xpolockx

WR Updates: 4,179,985
xpolockx WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The content is very good, Yenx. You did a great job of targetting the issues that a guild master faces. There's a misappropriated word or two in there (i.e. "of" instead of "or"), but I understood what you meant just fine. You get an A from me. Razz

Skyfire
Trolling Enforcement

Skyfire WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to add something about Loot-distribution, the kinds there are, and the pros/cons of each.

Otherwise, looks good to me Smile
Yenx

Yenx WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about that but it's really something standard, CP, ML etc that I don't think needs mentioning.
xpolockx

xpolockx WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yenx wrote:
I had thought about that but it's really something standard, CP, ML etc that I don't think needs mentioning.

I think he meant different forms of DKP or RLP that guilds use, since most endgame raid guilds use that kind of system to pass out loot. That would be a very good addition for guild masters interested in starting raiding with their guild. Smile

Bomani

WR Updates: 978
Bomani WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in some disussion on actual leadership structure within a guild ie. a GM and a bunch of Class Leaders, a Council of Officers overseeing everything, Council of Officer overseeing Class Leaders. etc. etc for a mid-size PvE heavy guild.
Rollie
Site Admin

Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the question is, what do you mean by mid-size? It's a relative term that could mean totally different things depending on who you talk to.

In my experiences, I have been most happy with a figurehead guild leader, an elected council of officers who actually run things, appointed (by the officers) class leaders who help with inter class issues and who are first point of contact for typical issues fielded. They then can also escalate things to the officers as needed.

That has been the set up in a fairly smooth running guild that I've been a part of for going on 6 years now. Guild size is typically around 100 active members.
Bomani

WR Updates: 978
Bomani WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx Rollie. "Mid-size" was referring to 80-100 active members.

Curious, in regards to WoW, there'd be 8 class leaders. How many officers typically? Do the officers do "double duty" as class leaders (where needed) and raid leaders? Does your raid leader corp come from Officer ranks, the Class leaders, is seperate from both or a combination of both?

Thank you again for commenting.
Rollie
Site Admin

Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my particular circumstance, raid leaders were nearly always officers. Officers have pulled double duty as CL's from time to time, but it is encouraged that CL's be separate from officers. Also, for larger classes, it is not uncommon to have 2 CL's instead of only 1.

As for typical number of officers, usually between 5 - 8 active players, active being very important for that position.
oiseaux

WR Updates: 526,961
oiseaux WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started my own guild with my husband after being in several guilds over a few characters. All of the things in your article are great. I decided to start my own guild because I have not been in a guild that can figure out how to run a guild properly. haha

At this point, my guild is tiny and only have a handful of people who play actively. I think most guild leaders and officers need to understand and acknowledge what they want out of the guild. SOOO many times I have been in a guild where they 'say' they want one thing, but then end up doing another completely different. That is a very bad weakness where they cannot even stick to their word or are swayed by 1-2 members. Changing the direction of a guild is fine, but it should not be without the consent of the majority or even 80% of the guild members agreeing.

Having a guild full of real life friends is also a cause for concern. If one of the real life friends get upset and leave, you can almost guarantee all of the friends will leave the guild. I have seen this in every guild I have been in. Sure it is great to invite people's friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc but most of those group applications tend to cause drama in the end. Having more than 1 or 2 real life friends as officers also causes problems. This gives the friends a lot of power in the guild and can cause favoritism. If you join a guild where all of your officers are real life friends, WATCH OUT. This is a situation you should just stand clear from in my experience.

If your guild is going to do raiding, state that in the beginning. DO NOT pretend that you aren't a raiding guild if in the end that is what you want. Once again, I have been in guilds who state over and over that "we aren't a raiding guild". haha Then a few epics drop and they begin raiding 6 days a week and wonder why members are leaving and morale is low. Set up a DKP, loot system at the beginning. Don't even step foot into MC without one because that way people know what to expect and understand the commitment in order to get an epic.

That's just a little bit of a rant from me haha. Can you tell I have been in some really horrible guilds.... Shocked Confused

EDIT: I broke 100 posts! WOO. (That is truly an accomplishment for me-I guess I am a mini-troll)
Skyfire
Trolling Enforcement

Skyfire WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lern2troll.

That is all.

Wink

And he passes Hybuir for 2nd all-time poster! Down with the impostor!
xpolockx

xpolockx WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for a guild to work well it takes a LOT of dedication out of the officer team. There's nothing wrong with having RL friends and family in the guild as long as everyone respects the opinions of each other when disagreements happen. My guild recently had 5-6 members of our raiding team leave because they were all RL friends and it was sad, but we just filled their spots and moved on (good thing about having a large guild, haha.) I can see how that would be pretty devastating to a small core guild though. I wouldn't say don't invite RL friends though, as I wouldn't play this game without them. It's what keeps me playing.

It's true that it can definitely cause a LOT of unneeded stress when people play favorites - hence why that dkp/loot system has to be set in stone when you start, with more than just one person in charge of the dkp so if anything looks fishy someone will notice. With only one person in charge of the loot system and no one watching him/her, it's sort of like being the banker in monopoly - a lot of temptation to cheat or be bribed and no one really watching you. Not to say that all loot masters or dkp recorders are corrupt, just that it is prudent to be careful. A lot of it comes down to the GM and officer team; if the core of the guild is solid, the rest will fall in line.

It's also good to have a guild charter that states exactly what the guild is about, including all rules and raid/loot policies. This charter of course is not easily changed. My guild requires all applicants to read and sign the guild rules - breaking the rules is grounds for dismissal from the guild (not that we have an itchy /gkick trigger finger, except when it comes to ninja looting... but it's so they cant use the excuse "well I didn't know.")

Raiding is what makes or breaks most guilds, and in most cases it's ultimately what breaks them. It can be a stressful activity, trying to coordinate 40+ people in a fair way. I've said it before - if you can raid with people that you trust who are out for the good of the guild and not just how much epic loot they can get, you'll have a much better time raiding, and it can be fun and exhilarating when you get bosses down for the first time. On the other hand, if everyone is just out to get all the loot first, raiding will be miserable.

On a totally different note, I just realized I'm past 100 posts too. Weird, I didn't even notice Razz

oiseaux

WR Updates: 526,961
oiseaux WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't get me wrong. I invite people's friends and stuff into the guild, but giving them all a lot of power in the guild is usually not a good thing. If 1 gets upset then you have lost some of your most valuable people (perhaps even officers) in the guild. I have also seen some people's friends not in line with the guilds attitude. They just join the guild "Because so and so is here and I am his friend". Bringing in people who don't even know or understand what the guild is about is bad. Then if you bring attention to the fact that his friend is causing trouble or whatnot, you have now lost 2 members and not just 1. Do you see where I am getting at?

The guild I was just in would invite ANYone and EVERYone despite their past, which is horrible horrible. Someone would 'sponsor' them in saying that they knew them, but that was never the case. There would be about 10-15 new people in a few days. UGH...I hate guilds that do that.

Friends can really add to a guild, but they can also drag one down too especially if they are in a clique. Just have to pick and choose who you invite.
chunk6969

chunk6969 WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks pretty good to me Laughing
Kibazu

WR Updates: 383,897
Kibazu WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chunk6969, nerf your avatar please. It's abusively wide Confused
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Articles All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: