WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
REQUEST: Player History as Data Feed

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> WarcraftRealms Developers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zinthose

WR Updates: 0
Zinthose WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: REQUEST: Player History as Data Feed Reply with quote

I'm in the process of developing a new member application system for my guild's web page and I', currently attempting to implement a system to generate a link to search for the name on the applicant to do a background check on them.

I think it would be far more efficient if a data feed was made available that would allow the download the history of a player with realm and the exact name as supplied .GET variables.

This way I could simply place the data into a table along side the applicant's replies for "At A Glance" referencing.
Rollie
Site Admin

WR Updates: 480,131
Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am open to something like this, but I have to put in the proper access before doing so to prevent people from trying to just grab everything in the DB, hehe.
Utahcarol

WR Updates: 6,915
Utahcarol WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollie wrote:
I am open to something like this, but I have to put in the proper access before doing so to prevent people from trying to just grab everything in the DB, hehe.

Is there any news on how this is coming? I know you've been busy redesigning the site (which looks awesome, btw), but I was just curious...

Thanks,
Utah
Rollie
Site Admin

Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, absolutely zero has been done on this front =x
muldoonaz

WR Updates: 8,339
muldoonaz WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to do something similar. I'm creating a guild application form that I want to pull a history check on users to inquire as to why they've parted from the last guild they were seen in.

I currently have my scripts parsing and manipulating wow armory data, but this would be the diamond in the rough! Have there been any plans made to make something like this available?
Rollie
Site Admin

Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete honesty here, not sure when something like this would get implemented.
muldoonaz

WR Updates: 8,339
muldoonaz WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, thanks for the response and the great site!
barish

barish WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we use something like this:

Code:
$var .= "Character name".": ".       addslashes($_POST['Char'])."\n";
$var .= "[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&n=".addslashes($_POST['Char'])."]wow-armory ".addslashes($_POST['Char'])."[/url]\n\n";
$var .= "[url=http://www.warcraftrealms.com/char/EU-Draenor/".addslashes($_POST['Char'])."]warcraftrealms ".addslashes($_POST['Char'])." history[/url]\n\n";

where you get name from
Code:
<label>Character Information</label>
<div class="Group">
<table cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
   <td width="200">Name</td>
   <td width="10">:</td>
   <td width="*"><input></td>
</tr>

I hope that helps.
this doesn't use the search function, so it hardly stresses the site/db
ScratchMonkey

ScratchMonkey WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get the data with the dates and levels, so that I can plot the leveling progress of my own characters and that of my friends and guildies. I'd probably plot level 1-70 on the X axis and time from first seen to a given level on the Y axis, with each toon in a different color. Flatter lines would be faster levelers.
Defigo

WR Updates: 3,363
Defigo WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually solved this issue of take the data and run by using services. It uses up more server resources, but it's the only way to ensure people don't steal the information:

http://www.wowexpedition.com/Developer/GuildHistory.ashx?name=Evanna&realm=Wyrmrest+Accord

Limits the history to the 5 latest entries for a specific character.

I have plans of adding even more security by making a developer network which would monitor where requests came from and block accounts that were competing with my services by using my data.

I don't know if this would work for WR since you guys have so much traffic, but it works in my case.

Some other neat proof of concepts here: http://www.wowexpedition.com/

(Only a few realms collected. Took me a while to figure out how to parse the CensusPlus.lua file into something useful).
Rollie
Site Admin

Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to decide how to respond to you, Defigo. While there is nothing I can do to stop you, I mentioned when you contacted me in game that I would like to think on it more before I gave my good graces to accepting, parsing, and collecting CensusPlus data.

My biggest concern is that people might start uploading to you instead of to WarcraftRealms.com. We are already light on many servers, and I would not want to exacerbate that problem.
Defigo

WR Updates: 3,363
Defigo WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely understand. My goal with my website is to use new technologies and features and push the limits (Proof of concept kinda). My first thought with it was to take existing data from WR and say hey "Powered by WarcraftRealms.com", but because that isn't an option, I went with writing my own parser for .Net and went from there.

My goal isn't to compete with WR 100% (A little, but for the most part no). My overall goal is to provide character background check, instance history, auditing, easier commenting/rating of characters, etc and move into a full blown database able to collect item, quest, npc and auction data from gamers. There are things WR does that I don't think need to be improved or changed.

I also know that without the CensusPlus addon, my site would not be possible (And I mention that in the Upload area).

It would be nice to be able to talk to you privately as there are things I have planned for the site that I wanted to keep under wraps until the site launched.
spoonium

WR Updates: 45,709
spoonium WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bomp*
Is there actually a way to access char data via a combination of region, servername and character name?

I've tried the link mentioned above, http://www.warcraftrealms.com/char/EU-Wrathbringer/Surprise , but it doesn't give me the result I expected, which would be http://www.warcraftrealms.com/charsheet/6270694

I'm trying to integrate a WarcraftRealms link into my Greasymonkey battle.net armory script.
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,092,047
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have worked.
I tested with active (yesterday) EU character and got correct results
I tested with inactive (early 2011) US character and got correct results
I tested with older active (Dec 2011) US character and got correct results

but with your guild Anathema it fails.
It appears that the data for your guild is out of date /incorrect.
I would suggest submitting some census runs with members of the guild online to update Warcraftrealms.. and maybe fix the guilds data pointers.
spoonium

WR Updates: 45,709
spoonium WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the Census data from my realm, and the link still doesn't work correctly.

Some other characters on the realm work fine, but it seems that on March 26th/27th 2008 something has gone wrong (either with the upload or with the backend processing), as those where it doesn't work all share that date as the only entry.

Examples:
http://www.warcraftrealms.com/char/EU-Wrathbringer/Xelas
http://www.warcraftrealms.com/char/EU-Wrathbringer/Veddartha
http://www.warcraftrealms.com/char/EU-Wrathbringer/Paowin
http://www.warcraftrealms.com/char/EU-Wrathbringer/Felastra

I've also found out that the name in the URL is case sensitive, so ".../Surprise" gives another result than ".../surprise" or ".../SURPRISE". Couldn't find a combination that linked to the correct result though (all others were just completely empty).
(And the server or region is case insensitive.)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> WarcraftRealms Developers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: