WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Blizzard /who and Demon Hunters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> CensusPlus UI Mod Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 9,175,929
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Blizzard /who and Demon Hunters Reply with quote

As expected the /who is not working properly.

Blizzard is not differentiating between "Demon Hunter" and "Hunter"

/who c-"Hunter" will return a result set that includes both "Demon Hunter" and "Hunter"

/who c-"Demon Hunter" will return a result set that includes both "Demon Hunter" and "Hunter"

/who c-"Demon" does return "Demon Hunter"

what is happening is that Blizzard is parsing on each work in the selector and not the full selector itself.

We have no way at this time to select for "Hunter" as only Hunter and not both classes.

Impact on CensusPlus:
Data integrity - no impact.
Speed - large impact, as many duplicate records are returned when using the two selectors.

I will be checking with other addon programmers to see if they know something about /who that I missed.
I might be changing the "Demon Hunter" selector to just "Demon" for a later code release, but this won't help much while the Demon Hunter frenzy is in full swing.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the change would be a more complex work around for a Blizzard bug..
I expect all the Latin-1 languages are impacted by the same.. that is currently being checked to be sure of that assumption.

At this point I am seeing around 4 or 5 Hunters when seeing 400-800 Demon Hunters, so the thought about change is meaningless during the frenzy.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another factoid... I am currently seeing 3 to 4 times as many new characters (DH cough) as updated characters.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumble, Grumble, Blizzard, Grumble.

I find it interesting that Blizzard added Gnomes to the Hunter list at the same time they added Demon Hunters.

I am sure Blizzard knows about the inability to just do a /who to get Hunter class only.

Above working by design. sigh.

I came up with two different solutions .. both failed due to false assumptions.. sigh.

The only solution is to not bother doing a census run based on class = "Demon Hunter",
the reasoning is that data will get picked up by the "Hunter" class run.

My problem is that the /who request sent to the server is created based upon the localized language of the WoW client.
I am going to have to create another table to do comparisons against the class in the created queue entry to reject specific class names.

I am not seeing an easy solution for the problem.. so this is going to take a few days to figure out how to increase the census run performance.. and not lose data if Blizzard makes an unannounced change to fix the real problem.

Well at least there are two good pieces of news.
While I had fixed the processing order of classes.. I had missed fixing the display order.. that is now corrected
Class and Race both process from right to left on the display.

The other good new is that the next version update will be considered a maintenance update.. and won't purge data.. or even need to be downloaded... if you don't care about the display and Census run times.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I watching the uneven parallel bars event while trying to figure out a solution.
A Chinese young lady started her routine and I was thinking, "Wow she is really powering herself through those transfers.. can she?". Bang her hands hit the lower bar and she couldn't keep her grasp on the bar so down she went to the mats.

My thought was she had just tried too hard, was trying to do more then she could.
Light bulb... I realized the solution to the code problem.

The frenzy had died down so I had to wait until this morning to test my fixes.

Testing with current code on a realm/faction saw 1540 characters in just under 29 minutes.
Immediate retesting with the changed code on the same realm/faction recorded 1549 characters in just over 24 minutes.
Five minutes saved at this level of population by cutting out the redundant DH census that Hunter census would pick up anyway.

I am waiting for the file to process on site before I ship it out to distribution.

Yesterday DH class was about 4x all the other classes combined
Today DH is about 1x all the other classes combined.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site was not prepared!
fixed the version issue and have to wait another hour for testing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> CensusPlus UI Mod Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: