WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Congrats in order to Padanfain for largest census numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,092,047
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Congrats in order to Padanfain for largest census numbers Reply with quote

Padanfain recently broke the 1 Million character update in a month level.

Apparently looking back at census graphs and monthly numbers the maximum number of updates record was held by Balgair when she turned in 837,062 for July 2007.
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,099,399
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, congrats! I did think my record could be beaten, given very consistent high-intensity censusing, but I didn't think anybody would actually do it, well done! Smile
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

WR Updates: 15,118,745
Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot Very Happy

Was a fun experiment.

Who wants to race to 1,500,000 next month? lol
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your secret for consistent large numbers?

Looking at your uploads it appears you do census runs for about a period of 6 hours a day.
Comparing what you upload vs. what I upload it appears to me you might be multi- boxing. So you can hit more then one realm at a time.

Whatever it is .. keep up the good work.
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single box but same idea. Three low res windowed instances of WoW signed on to three accounts running census at the same time. Both sides of a little over 20 realms each account. Wide variety of realm populations, low to high with no locked or full realms. If I were in front of the computer all the time it would take less time start to finish but while doing other things I wait for the chime at the end of census and log out and in two or three at the same time.
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was using two accounts much the same way when I did my 800k+ month (and another month where I think I would've beaten my previous and maybe got near 1 million, but for server problems or new expansion issues, something like that lost me about a week anyway, right at the end of a very productive month), it's the only real way to get numbers high enough as one account alone is good but obviously slower than two or three.

Low pop realms are fairly pointless for me if I'm looking for numbers, as most the lower pop realms I come across are SO low that you don't get any real numbers for them and there's a limit on characters per account so better to use on servers with more than 15 characters online Razz I'd probably go for medium-high (with the very odd low that actually has a decent pop level added in for luck). But as I'm not aiming for raw numbers these days, I mainly just have the highest pop realms I can find that are low on censuses saved lol, means switching character is needed less often (although I do have to watch to not get logged out before census ends on some of them!)
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting -- It never occurred to me that you could run multiple instances of WoW on the same machine!
I too tend to be doing other things and thinking ever time I hear the finish tones (yes master, slobber, I'm a good doggy) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning"Pavlov's dog"
I hate seeing zero's on the "Most Wanted Census Realms" page, but it takes me almost all the time I have to be logged on the internet to hit the 50 realm/factions I try to do nearly every day. New, Low, Medium and a hand full of highs.
I keep having internal fights with myself.." Need new realms. no .. need to add more coverage time slots for the realms I'm doing, no.. sigh, I takes all the time to hit what I've got now. "
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, it's very easy, just start the game, login, then start it up again and login your other account (you can't have two launchers up at once but two games, no problem) Smile

Only downside is, unless you have a supercomputer, it won't much like it - I often tow an alt along with me to old raids etc that way but have to turn graphics down, as what runs at 60fps fine with one copy, brings me to about 5-10 fps with two... I'd hoped that upgrading my CPU would fix it, and it helped, right up until Mists launched when it got worse than it'd been before, *sigh*. Of course if all you're doing is censusing, low fps doesn't really hurt much anyway, but it may get painful if you have a lower spec pc that doesn't handle one copy with ease Wink

As for zeroes, I've been working on those (I keep a couple of character slots free for throwaway characters for zero census realms, as well as keeping a bunch of more longterm characters on higher pop realms) - been busy the last few days so didn't finish English yet but I had all of French, Geman and Spanish up to 1 a few days back. No doubt by the time I get through the missing ones a few more will reset themselves though, but hitting a few a day is decent for the new ones, not so good for updates though, since the servers on zero tend to get more new than updated...
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that rate you would have definitely been well over 1 million Balgair. That's a bummer. With the recent server problems I would not have even considered trying but after the server change I figured it was worth a try. I will let someone else go for the 1.5 mil mark but if I were to give it a shot (very doable I think) I would get real picky about the realms I took census on. For instance I would drop the heavily lopsided realms like Mug'thol. Mug'thol is good for a little over 800 toons, medium pop realm with about 780 horde and 40 alliance. It takes longer to census than Argent Dawn, almost 1100 toons with 400 horde and 700 alliance. Kel'Thuzad which is good for 3300 toons is about 100 horde and 3200 alliance lol. Realms with 80% 90s take much longer than 50% 90s. Lots of details to consider. A little database or spreadsheet that gave the characters per minute would pick out the right ones to keep.

At first I did multi-box. I used an old dual core P4 I picked up at a goodwill store for $5 for one. An old laptop for another. When I tried the multiple window trick around the end of May I decided to go a bit crazy.

Yeah bringoutyourdead, I here the chime and think, ok, be there in just a minute. LOL

I used some 'most wanted' realms as filler here and there but dropped most of them because they dinged to fast for me to get away and do things. If only there was a way to automate the process we could banish the zeroes...
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring completeness issues, the fewer the queries the faster you can finish a census run.

The most efficient is the initial build of 11 queries , the 8 decades, the highest decade minus the top level, top level, and at user request the census taker query. Assuming each query returned the current max of 50 and was flagged complete by the server, you end up with 500 characters seen.
While that is most efficient it is too small a population and the census runs end too quickly. Not enough time to do anything in game.. or in real life before the bell rings.

From there things start to get complicated.. but still reasonable as we do the level, race and class splits. If we were to continue to be lucky and always get the 50 valid returns through the class splits we would end up with a hugh number of players.. (more then the servers currently can support)

Figure each level has every race with every available class at 50 characters..
orcs - 8 classes = 400 /level ===== Gnome - 7 classes = 350/level
Tauren - 8 classes = 400 /level ===== Night Elf - 8 classes = 400/level
Troll - 10 classes = 500/level ===== Dwarf - 10 classes = 500/level
Undead - 8 classes = 400/level ===== Draenei - 8 classes = 400/level
Blood Elf - 9 classes = 450/level ===== Human - 9 classes = 450/level
Pandaren - 6 classes = 300/level ===== Pandaren - 6 classes = 300/level
Goblin - 8 classes = 400/level ===== Worgen - 8 classes = 400/level
Horde = 2850/level =-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Alliance = 2800/level

at level cap of 90 that gives your either 256,500 or 252,000 per realm.

At this point you should be struggling to stay in your chair as you start to uncontrollably giggle and laugh on the edge of insanity.Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

Since no character can at the same moment of time be multiple classes or races.. we only lose 50 characters for each incomplete query.

Once we have to split to the name level we lose all efficiency as we end up trying to count every character 4 times due to duplicate character matches. The count + 3 duplicates is based on my study last year using a sample size in the hundreds of thousands of names. The reason it isn't a higher duplicate number is that not every letter used is found in every name.

I'll leave the remainder of this thought problem to you the reader (while you contemplate my sanity). I do have to admit, I am concerned that Blizzard will muck things up for us when they release 5.4 to the live realms. Is anyone looking at the PTRs? do the /who queries return new data fields that we don't see in the current live WoW release?
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balgair wrote:
As for zeroes, I've been working on those (I keep a couple of character slots free for throwaway characters for zero census realms, as well as keeping a bunch of more longterm characters on higher pop realms) - been busy the last few days so didn't finish English yet but I had all of French, Geman and Spanish up to 1 a few days back.

Success! Won't last, as I did a good chunk at the start of last month, meaning they'll be falling off again in a few days but for now, no zeroes in Europe Very Happy

Shame playing whack-a-mole with the zeroes is rubbish for updates though, but at least it helps my new ones total and it feels satisfying to get rid of those pesky zeroes Wink
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bringoutyourdead wrote:
...you start to uncontrollably giggle and laugh...

I did get a good chuckle out of all those numbers hehehe. Made my head hurt.

bringoutyourdead wrote:
Is anyone looking at the PTRs?

The site says I'm eligible for copy, if I get a chance later I will copy a toon and see what I can see.

Wowow Balgair! That had to have been way over 100 realms. I trimmed my list of 70 something down to 30 so I have plenty of free spaces. Most zero faction/realm don't take to long to census I guess? Maybe I will follow your lead and whack a few US moles too lolol.
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to think how many realms it was; even on relatively permanent characters, I cover at least 65 realms/factions, and I did a heck of a lot of deleting and rerolling to cover the missing realms. Probably 100+ extras, I honestly don't know though, just it took me all month, doing a few hours most days! My WTF folder on that account contains folders for 216 servers (and ofc many will be both factions). Now granted I rarely purge them so probably some haven't been used for ages but still, thats how many realms I've had characters on (on only one account; I have two, but do most the deleting and rerolling on the same one; the other has more permanent characters, and may have a few more servers lol)

They are indeed mostly fairly fast, thank goodness; I'd say 50%+ of them take 1-2 mins max (a lot are complete by the time I've been to the mailbox and deleted the mail so I can delete the character after), most others not much over 5 mins. Then you hit the occasional one that's 40+ mins and 3000+ characters, and you wonder how nobody there runs the addon, sigh. Outland Alliance, Ravencrest Alliance and Kazzak Horde I am looking at you! Razz
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok bringoutyourdead, it took a little over a day to download the PTR client install and patches lol but I'm in there.

What exactly am I looking for?
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start with... using the standard wow interface..

First are you seeing the # marker indicating that Virtual realm is active?

type "/who" on the chat line.. and look at the output does it look in any way different from the live version. Is there any indication of host or logon realm for the characters listed.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI
I am now starting to see some chatter about the in game LUA API changes needed to support the virtual realms features. And it appears that each new PTR build is adding (and/or) modifying some of these functions.

code has been added to manipulate between "character_Name" "realm" and "character-realm"
The ability to tie in the realm into some of the getXXXinfo calls instead of either assuming local realm or doing some jumping through hoops to tie the character to the actual logon realm.

I'm going to break out my preliminary testing addon and start modifying it for 5.4..

Warning -- Horton is coming out of hibernation! (insider joke)
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created toons on 3 of the 5 test realms and saw no # sign indicating the virtual realm on my toon or any other toon I inspected. Not sure the 5 public test realms would give a proper pool of realms to test that on. 1 US normal, 1 US pvp, 1 EU normal, 1 EU pvp and 1 KR normal.

As for /who, it looks exactly the same, no difference in interface or columns.

If I can test anything for you or anything else you need from the PTR let me know.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've only see one definite API change that can impact CensusPlus. However it probably won't since Blizzard is leaving the old structure in place for that call and I can ignore the change.
In regards to the PTR realms, I was afraid of that .. I thought Blizzard would have to make a tweak to their standard PTR linkages to test Virtual realms.. I expect they won't actually test it until it is live.
If you would every 3-4 days pop up on to the PTR realm of your choice and see if the # starts showing up.
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was PTR maintenance/patch day.

No # sign yet but did see a difference in the /who of a CRZ. In the name column it displays 'Toon-Realm' and also shows guild names.

They are increasing the number of PTRs. I will keep checking for changes.
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for kicks I installed the current CP and took census of two PTRs with no errors.

Also took a look at AH and saw no indication that any auctions were made by people of other realms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: