WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Possibility of updating censusplus.php to link to Curse?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> WarcraftRealms.com Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SannaSK

WR Updates: 418,020
SannaSK WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Possibility of updating censusplus.php to link to Curse? Reply with quote

Hi. I used to run CensusPlus a middling-fair bit several years ago, then stuff happened and I drifted. I came back a couple days ago and poked around the site and got to this page:
http://www.warcraftrealms.com/censusplus.php
which has the download link for 5.0.2. Since I had no reason to think that was inaccurate, I got that file, plunked it in my addons folder, tried to take a census in game, and of course got errors. Only then did I go to the forums to try to look for the appropriate place to report errors, and fortunately stumbled across a link to
"Site status updates for MoP compatibility"
www.warcraftrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4940
which directed me to the Curse page with the correct 6.0.0 version of the file.

May I request that the censusplus.php page link to the Curse page? Since every individual server page links to censusplus.php, I wonder how many people are getting the wrong file before they go hunting to get the right one.

Secondarily, even though in "Site status updates for MoP compatibility" post, Balgair says "(Edited this post to get the update visible on the website's front page Smile)", and even though the Latest News box on the front page has that post linked, there is nothing that tells a quickly-glancing casual user 'hey, btw, the 5.0.2 file that's linked on this site is outdated, instead you should get this 6.0.0 file that's linked in this post!' It's not that the information isn't discoverable, it's that the information is buried and not clearly labelled.

So if the official site can link to Curse, that will solve everything ^_^ Thanks!
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,150,734
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that only Rollie can change anything in the actual website and he has so much RL stuff going on that it took 2 months to get the database vaguely functional for MoP, getting anything else sorted isn't happening quickly.

The best any of the rest of us can do is put info into the news updates, which at least do reach the front page of the site if people read them. Even then, the addon was updated by bringoutyourdead, who does not have access to post new threads to the announcement section (and obviously only the first post in the thread is visible on the front page) - only myself and I think perhaps Hybuir of the vaguely active people here have that access. So we're doing the best we can, but until Rollie finds time to fix things up (or gives someone else access to do it, but there's very few if any people here both willing and capable of that), there's not a lot else that can be done.

The Curse download link is on the front page of the website via the news post, I know it's not very noticeable, but it's the best I or anyone else other than Rollie can manage. I've edited it once more to try and make it stand out a bit better, but since bold, font size and the like don't carry over to the front page, it's a bit hard to do much with plain text Razz
SannaSK

SannaSK WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, if you were to edit the title of the forum post to go from
"Site status updates for MoP compatibility"
to
"Site status updates for MoP compatibility - download v6.0.0 here!"

Would that title alteration reflect in the Latest News box on the front page?

If it did reflect, then anyone going to to the front page of WarcraftRealms.com would be able to see, at a quick glance, 'hey there's a new version number, I should check that out.'
For my own experience, I did see the Latest News box and I did see that there was a post titled "Site status updates for MoP compatibility", but since the most recent version number stated in the Latest News box was 5.0.2 (in the post below that) and since that was the same version number linked at censusplus.php, I interpreted the forum post title to mean 'here is some information regarding the inner workings of the website', and not 'here is some information regarding the fact that there is a new version of the addon, so please look here and don't go to censusplus.php'.

I'm not trying to demean or speak ill of the effort you have put forth to get the information out there, I know you guys are working hard with what you have. I'm a casual user/outsider trying to suss out the most simple change that can keep other casual users from getting frustrated and throwing their hands up and just deleting the addon. I mean, it only took me about 5-10 minutes to poke the forums and find the correct info (and even then I ended up being linked to the correct post by one user replying to another user in another thread), but I'm sure there are people more casual/ambivalent than I am who won't spend even that 5 minutes (and imo that does not speak politely of their character, but I can't really change that about them : x).

And, if editing the title of a forum post does not reflect on the Latest News page, is it worth making another post with an anviliciously blatant title like "Download CensusPlus v6.0.0 from Curse! Link provided in this post." Then, even if a person does manage to get the 5.0.2 file from censusplus.php, hopefully they'll either go to the main page and see that link and then get the correct file from Curse.

Again, I'm not trying to discount the work you all have put in. I'm just trying to think what smallest alteration will have the biggest impact, and hopefully ultimately make your jobs/roles easier in the long run.
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, change made - I didn't think of that since I didn't really think a 2 line post was too long for people to read Razz
SannaSK

SannaSK WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so. In the vein of 'casual users taking forever to figure simple things out'... I only just now figured out that the main page of WR can * scroll down * and a person can read the content of the original post of the threads that are linked in the Latest News box. I couldn't figure out what you mean by 'a 2 line post', because I thought you were referring to the title of the post. On my screen, one screen's worth of the main page of WR looks like it only contains the 'get involved today' box and the 'latest news' box; it didn't occur to me that there might be more content on the page if I tried to scroll down. I thought the links in the Latest News box directly went to the forum posts themselves.

I am ashamed and embarrassed that it took me this long to figure out something so ridiculously simple.

Thank you for fielding my frustratingly ham-handed attempts to help. I feel now like the kid in the kitchen going OMG LET ME HELP and all you chefs are like 'will you please just go sit down and let us take care of stuff, we really do have it as under control as it can possibly be right now.' So I'll go sit down now, and just keep uploading.... X D

Merry Christmas y'all X D
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh! I do apologise, it never crossed my mind that it could display that way so I'd assumed you/others had just not even bothered looking at the posts properly. Now I look again I can see exactly how that could happen, my screen resolution shows the top of the first post as well, but just one resolution lower would hide that and make it look as though the titles are all that there is, doh Embarassed Sorry for the crossed wires then, I can totally see where you were coming from now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> WarcraftRealms.com Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: