WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
requesting a feature to be added

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> WarcraftRealms Developers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolabah

WR Updates: 0
coolabah WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: requesting a feature to be added Reply with quote

requesting a feature to allow you to use there real id to see all there characters they have on a certain realm
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,101,294
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's currently impossible - even the armory doesn't allow that, and only Blizzard has that exact data, nobody else does. It can be guessed by sites who track achievements, but not 100% ccurately, and in any case, it's so far away from the way this site works that I can't ever see it happening, I'm afraid.
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 23,841,887
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is it impossible, but such a feature would actually make Censusplus illegal in many EU countries. RealIDs are not public. An individual player may CHOOSE to reveal his or her RealID, but acquiring such data without person's consent is not only a TOS / EULA violation, but a crime in several countries.

This is partially why Blizzard had to back down from putting RealIDs on the public forums. A John Smith might not care if his name appears somewhere without context, but there are a lot of people with unique or semi-unique names. Without revealing mine, I'll just note that to my knowledge, there have only ever been 4 people with the exact name combination I carry... and to my knowledge, two of them died long ago. This despite the fact that there are well over 40 000 people who share my first name, over 60 000 who share the second one and if I recall correctly, over 140 000 who share my last name.

And I know at least 100 people who have absolutely unique names, several of them are my relatives, close friends or former colleagues across the country. At least a few of them are also WoW players. And though such things would be in minority, a rare few would suffer from their gaming habits being published.

I could possibly cope with RealID publicity, but I know people who could not. It's therefore better that RealIDs remain where they belong, within Blizzard's archives.
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,101,294
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree entirely there, my name is not unique but I am only aware of one other person in the world (and not in my home country) with the same combination of first and last name. Real ID is fine for people with generic names, they remain relatively anonymous, but for those of us with uncommon names, well, I'd rather not have everything I do tied to my name (which can be tied to my real location if someone knows how to look; I think I've got all traces off it off the net but it was googleable at one point, sigh).

That being said, I assumed the OP wasn't asking for the Real ID to actually be made public, but more to use it to link together people's characters and the linked characters to be visible. I'm still not keen on even that though; it should be a player's choice to have their privacy or not (one downside to accountwise achievements is some sites are now able to link up characters in that way)
FuxieDK

WR Updates: 2,596,413
FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of only four people, in Denmark, who bears my name.
However, in a way, my name is till unique:
- the 3 other people, are all over 60 years old (don't ask how I know)
- the 3 other people have middle names, where I only have first & last name.

This means, I don't like my name to be too public..
My RL friends have my RealID, but everyone else can MAYBE get my BattleTag...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> WarcraftRealms Developers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: