WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Worst month for censuses in a long, long time...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buldiva

WR Updates: 0
Buldiva WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id love to help with consensus but.. Im a casual gamer.. my connection is also limited (dial up with no hope of broadband)

So your basically saying that I cant use this info to prove or disprove the debate goin on in the forum Sad

Thank you very much for answering my questions.. and I really appreciate the time and effort people have put in to make this data available.. really awesome work guys!
pencey

WR Updates: 34,199
pencey WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is very easy to install the addon and use it on your own realm, despite being a casual gamer with dial up.

you just install it and it automatically takes the censuses (which are text-based so don't consume much bandwidth), then every few weeks you upload the file to the server (5-10 minutes on 56k dialup i guess).
FuxieDK

WR Updates: 2,571,239
FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using UniUpload would be a benefit, when on a dial-up, as it Gzip the file, which means less bytes to upload, which means less money if you're not on FlatRate..
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 22,652,999
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Pencey and Fuxie already noted, being a casual is not a problem, we don't have quotas or such to fill, some people upload a few hundred kilobytes a month, others 10 MB+ a day.

And yes, on an overall level, that's true. We don't have enough data to support a specific overall view. We can point out certain individual cases... like the fact that EU-Silvermoon is badly imbalanced or that the balance on EU-Magtheridon has improved after Blizzard turned it into a PvE realm and even recommended it for new players.

And just to give you measure of scale we are dealing with... There are, give or take a few, about 298 US realms and 295 EU realms (I counted them fairly long time ago, so figures maybe slightly off). But that means the following: Almost 600 realms = almost 1200 factions. To maintain a steady green level of data, requires a minimum of 4 censuses per day per faction. So, "full coverage" would require a very even spread of about 4800 censuses (minimum). A census will take a minimum of about one minute even on a very low population faction and some factions can take 40+ minutes at peak times.

If we assume an average of just 10 minutes per needed census, time requirement per day would be around 48000 minutes... which equals 800 hours... or about 33 1/3 days of censuses... every day.

After that bit of mathematics, Epic Censi says simply: Have a good day and keep up the fight! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: